Dearborn STEM Academy is a Boston Public School and BPE Teaching Academy serving grades 6-12. We are committed to preparing students to successfully enter the 21st century global workforce. The school bridges rigorous academics with career readiness, and leverages Boston’s unique position in higher education and industry to provide students with access to authentic real-world experiences, while cultivating critical thinking and communications skills.
In September, 2018, the Dearborn will be moving to its permanent location on Greenville Street in Dudley Square. This new, $70 million Boston Public Schools facility was secured in 2013 by Roxbury community leaders, for the students, families and community of Dudley. The school has been thoughtfully designed for 21st century student learning. It will feature flexible spaces for collaboration among students and adults and a high capacity for the use of technology. Highlights include open spaces designed for project-based learning, including a Fab Lab, Maker Space and learning commons.
Dearborn is a part of a PreK-12 neighborhood school pathway that includes the Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (PreK-5). Our schools serve as training sites for aspiring teachers participating in the Boston Teacher Residency. All staff work collaboratively to enact ambitious teaching and learning in service of student achievement goals.
The Brilliant Career Lab Director is responsible for maintaining the school’s brand new Fab Lab and Maker Space, working closely with staff and students and partners to ensure that the spaces are integrated into the school’s educational program. The presence of these two spaces will be new for most students and staff at the school. The Brilliant Career Lab Director will work to support Dearborn students and staff as they become familiarized with the technology in the two spaces, and as they think creatively about the integration of these spaces into the curriculum. The Brilliant Career Lab Director will also work with industry and corporate partners to design and implement programming in the two spaces.
- Training staff and students on how to properly use the equipment
- Working with staff to incorporate STEM and Fab Lab/Maker Space activities into their curriculum
- Running after-school Fab Lab/Maker Space club for interested students
- Collaborating with industry and community partners
- Communicating regularly with industry to ensure that insights on critical labor market skills are integrated into Fab Lab/Maker Space activities
- Maintaining all Fab Lab/Maker Space equipment
- Ensuring necessary inventory of consumables
- Scheduling use of Fab Lab
Key Experience sought:
- Experience working in a Fab Lab or the equivalent
- Experience working with digital design software, 3D printing, laser cutters, CNC routing, drill presses, planers
- Experience working with adolescents/teenagers - in formal or informal environments
- Experience working with educators
- Experience creating/collaborating on curriculum
- Strong organizational and project-management skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Skilled at building trusting relationships with students and adults
- Strong communicator (verbal, written, intentional listener)
- Emotional intelligence
- Models a learner’s stance