The new Dearborn STEM Academy building will open this September. It will be the first new school building in Boston in 15 years, the first building in the country intentionally built for STEM learning, and the first open-enrollment grade 6-12 public STEM school in Boston. BPE is seeking an experienced project manager to ensure to oversee the myriad of details related to start-up operations of a new Boston Public School building and the relocation from the Dearborn’s existing site on the fourth floor of the Jeremiah Burke High School to the new facility on 35 Greenville Street, Roxbury, MA. This position is a temporary full-time contract position through September 2018 reporting to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer.
Boston Plan for Excellence
Boston Plan for Excellence is an education organization operating a PreK-12 pathway of neighborhood based Teaching Academies -- schools that provide a world class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for successful, sustainable careers as urban educators. BPE’s mission is to drive exceptional outcomes for all students by creating great teachers and great schools. We run two Teaching Academies in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury: Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School and Dearborn STEM Academy. Through Boston Teacher Residency, a nationally recognized and replicated clinical model for training teachers, we prepare aspiring educators for the Boston Public Schools, and run a city-wide network of teacher support.
This position will be responsible for helping to ensure that all operational details are taken care of so that the launch of the new Dearborn in September is smooth. The Project Manager will serve as a centralized repository of information from the organizations, departments and people involved in the building. The Project Manager obtain information from the appropriate parties to develop a project management plan. The following responsibilities represent some of this position’s scope of work but is not a complete list.
Coordination with Project Team
* Liaise with Project team from City of Boston, BPS, owner’s representative, and other parties
* Maintain a list of decisions/actions still pending
* Update and revise project plan as deadlines/timelines shift
* Work with Project team to order all capital equipment and plan for receiving
* Work with Dearborn principal and BPE to create a list of items that BPE will need to purchase, plan timeline for ordering and receiving
* Work with Dearborn principal to ensure all neighbor relation issues have a plan to be addressed
* Facilitate development of room and space assignment
* Work with Project team to ensure building is ready for staff by July
* Develop building usage plan for Summer Trainings at the site
* Ensure clear communication with Dearborn staff regarding move
* Oversee move and unpacking
* Oversee receiving of deliveries
Training and Policies
* Ensure that complete set of policies for building use are developed and implemented
* Identify and plan for staff trainings necessitated by new building