Boston Plan for Excellence is an education organization operating a PreK-12 pathway of neighborhood based Teaching Academies -- schools that provide a world class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for successful, sustainable careers as urban educators. We run two Teaching Academies in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury: Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School and Dearborn STEM Academy. Through Boston Teacher Residency, a nationally recognized and replicated clinical model for training teachers, we prepare aspiring educators for the Boston Public Schools, and run a city-wide network of teacher support.
BPE’s Advancement team serves two primary functions: development and communications. The team raises public and private revenue to support the $6 million organization, its programs, and its schools. The team also manages all communications for BPE and supports communications efforts at its Teaching Academies to raise the visibility of the organization.
The Development Assistant will provide general administrative support for a six-member Advancement team, with a focus on grant support. The Development Assistant reports to the Senior Development Manager and collaborates with members of the Advancement, Finance, and Data teams. This position is an integral member of the Advancement Team and will offer critical support to achieve the aggressive fundraising goals of the organization.
The responsibilities of the Development Assistant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Donor Database (Salesforce): Add new records and information, update tasks and activities, log proposal and report deadlines, create and run reports, and clean up data as needed.
- Grants and Individual Giving: Research new prospects, prepare documents for grant applications and reports by formatting and populating standard information, process new gifts including writing acknowledgment letters, monitor and share progress regularly, and check applications and report packages for omissions and errors.
- Meetings and Event Support: Provide support for site visits, meetings, phone calls, and large events run by Advancement Team members, including scheduling, sending reminders, preparing briefings or other documents, mailings, note-taking, data entry, and follow-up.
- Managing Up: Learn how Development colleagues work, identify needs, ask critical questions, help to problem-solve, communicate effectively, draft communications, and work proactively to meet the team's needs.
- Other duties as assigned.