The ideal Director of Community and Family Engagement is committed to creating world-class schools in the Dudley neighborhood. This person passionately believes that educational success is a community endeavor and is best accomplished through deep and sustained partnerships.
The DCFE reports to the BPE Executive Director and serves as a member of BPE’s Senior Leadership Team. The DCFE works closely with the school- and program-level leaders and staff to develop and nurture partnerships with families, individuals and organizations to support student success. The DCFE accomplishes this by:
- Working closely with school staff to ensure that BPE schools partner with families to create the schools we want for our children
- Working closely with community organizations to ensure that students in BPE schools have access to the coordinated level of supports (academic, socio-emotional, health and wellness, enrichment) they need to be successful
- Working closely with the non-profit, higher education and corporate sectors to ensure that students in BPE schools have access to the training, people and opportunities they need to be prepared for the 21st century world of college and career.
The DCFE is an innovative and strategic thinker, experienced program leader, and is passionate about working with youth and families in an inclusive, diverse and complex environment. The DCFE is able to set a bold vision, develop strategies and operating plans to achieve this vision, and then skillfully execute to achieve those results. This individual is excited about working in an entrepreneurial and sometime ambiguous environment and possesses a high level of personal responsibility for achieving ambitious results. The ideal candidate will be outcomes-based and committed to applying national best practices in family and community engagement to promote children’s success.
Boston Plan for Excellence
Boston Plan for Excellence is an education organization operating a PreK-12 pathway of neighborhood based Teaching Academies -- schools that provide a world class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for successful, sustainable careers as urban educators. We run two Teaching Academies in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury: Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School and Dearborn STEM Academy. Through Boston Teacher Residency, a nationally recognized and replicated clinical model for training teachers, we prepare aspiring educators for the Boston Public Schools, and run a city-wide network of teacher support.
The primary role of the Director of Community and Family Engagement (DCFE) is to ensure that the organization works closely with a broad set of partners to achieve its mission. This involves:
Working closely with school staff to ensure that BPE schools partner with families to create the schools we want for our children
- Supports the functioning of vibrant parent councils at BPE schools
- Ensures that family engagement is an integral part of BPE’s professional development for all school staff and that BPE uses effective professional development strategies, curricula, and tools to train principals, teachers and other school staff in family engagement strategies proven to improve student achievement
- Works to ensure that families know, support and want their children to be part of the BPE PreK-12 pathway.
Working closely with community organizations to ensure that students in BPE schools have access to the coordinated level of supports (academic, socio-emotional, health and wellness, enrichment) they need to be successful
- Serves as primary liaison with key community partners
- Attends community meetings on behalf of BPE to hear community concerns, provide information about community engagement, and advocate for participation
- Supports the design and implementation of an organizing model to meaningfully engage parents in the continuous improvement of BPE schools
- Ensures strong alignment and coordination between parental and family involvement efforts and broader community stakeholder engagement initiatives in support of their children’s learning and achievement.
- Designs and implements infrastructure to identify and recruit community partners to support students.
Working closely with the non-profit, higher education and corporate sectors to ensure that students in BPE schools have access to the training, people and opportunities they need to be prepared for the 21st century world of college and career
- Identifies and cultivates organizational partners for the schools
- Increases the offering of STEM opportunities (curricular, programmatic, internships) for students and teachers
- Supports a broader community effort to raise the visibility of STEM pathways and careers in the community.
- Supports community teacher initiatives in DPC and BTR - recruit people from the neighborhood, support people to live in the neighborhood
- Maintains current knowledge of research and best practices within the field and use that to inform operational plans
- Works closely with communications manager to develop communications that are language appropriate and culturally sensitive.