Boston Plan for Excellence is an education organization operating a PreK-12 pathway of neighborhood based Teaching Academies -- schools that provide a world class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for successful, sustainable careers as urban educators. We run two Teaching Academies in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury: Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School and Dearborn STEM Academy. Through Boston Teacher Residency, a nationally recognized and replicated clinical model for training teachers, we prepare aspiring educators for the Boston Public Schools, and run a city-wide network of teacher support.
The Data Manager reports to the Chief Improvement Officer and also work closely with the Principals and Directors of Instruction of the two schools, and the Directors of Boston Teacher Residency, Dudley Promise Corps, and the Early Career Teacher Network.
The Data Manager’s primary responsibility focuses on building, setting up, and maintaining various data systems critical to the operation and improvement of BPE schools and programs. BPE utilizes various data tools and services to help school teams monitor students’ progress and make evidence-based decisions about instruction, student support, and school climate to drive improved student outcomes. The organization has also developed tools to track the progress of Boston Teacher Residency and Dudley Promise Corps participants, and to collect data for the purposes of program improvement, research, and reporting to stakeholders.
A key component of the data work involves transforming disparate and over-abundant data into meaningful and easily digestible analytics and visualizations that can help teachers and administrators make decisions about how they teach and support students or program participants. Another important component involves working with school and program leaders to build a strong culture of data use. This requires the ability to think and work strategically to manage change and help build the capacity of others to dig deeply into the data and generate insights that powerfully impact teaching and learning. In both cases, it is vital that the Data Manager work hard to understand the needs and work of end users before developing tools and systems. The Data Manager also assists in managing data for federal, state, and grant reporting.
- Implementing and managing data systems critical to the operation of the school (PowerSchool, Boston Public School’s ASPEN information system, Tableau dashboards)
- Implementing and managing data systems critical to the operation of the various BPE programs (Salesforce, Google Forms and Sheets)
- Creating and/or managing comprehensive student datasets; this includes merging data from disparate sources and updating data on a regular basis
- Creating new data trackers and dashboards (or improving existing ones) to help school and program teams engage in inquiry around data
- Providing user-friendly data analyses, visualizations and tools to school and BPE stakeholders to inform decisions at key points in time. These data include, but are not limited to, student assessments (MCAS and formative), course grades, attendance and discipline, and demographics
- Creating and sharing clear and thorough data presentations and reports of student/school performance to school administration, Instructional Leadership Team, BPE and school boards, or other groups within the school community
- Assisting with federal, state, district, and funder reporting
- Assisting with the school’s goal setting process and tracking progress toward goals throughout the school year; this includes providing regular reports on how the school is progressing toward its student achievement goals
- Organizing, supporting and facilitating professional development sessions with school administration, faculty and BPE staff on data analysis and data use
- Leading capacity building trainings around data literacy, analysis, assessment systems, Google Sheets, and other data technologies
- Implementing and/or piloting innovative strategic projects tailored to the needs of the schools and BPE